For this essay, you will be researching ethics and how it applies to a teacher – student relationship in Yoga. As a Yoga Teacher, it is important to consider that you are in a “mentor” role, and as such, must hold yourself to higher standards. As such, understanding ethics is essential to growing into this role. Being able to discuss the practical application of this topic in the classroom and/or in your everyday life is your goal for this essay.
The key to this essay is to discuss how to practically apply ethics into your classes and how this effects your relationship with your students and fellow teachers. Some example topics are:
- Discuss the Yamas (moral or ethical guidelines/principles) and how they can be used to guide your relationships with your students.
- Use the “ASANA” acronym (from your Instructing Hatha Yoga textbook) which describes a way to remember how to interact with your students. Discuss how this can be utilized to guide your interactions with your students.
- Utilizing the four C’s, discussed in your Instructing Hatha Yoga textbook, and how these qualities can inform and guide your interactions with your students.
- Since Yoga is not regulated by state and/or federal governments, you will find that many organizations have come up with their own guidelines to guide Yoga Teachers in their interactions with their students. Some schools/registering bodies, for example, have put together their own list of ethical guidelines for their teachers. (For example, Yoga Alliance has a section on their site for this and some states also have their own set of guidelines. Aura also has an Ethics Agreement that all students must agree to before becoming a Yoga Teacher. You can see a copy of this agreement here: Ethics Agreement.) Research different organizations, schools, registering bodies, etc. and discuss the similarities that you find as well as how you can incorporate this into your interactions with your students. Throughout your research, you will find that most organizations have similar ethical guidelines.
(Note: Do not just list the guidelines that you find, rather, discuss how these guidelines can inform and guide your interactions with your students.)
- Throughout the Yoga industry, ethics has become a big topic of concern. Especially since some “big-name” gurus were caught interacting with their students in unethical ways. Discuss what they were caught doing that was unethical, the repercussions for that behavior (legally, personally, and for Yoga teachers as a whole), as well as what you can do to ensure that you stay ethical in your interactions with your students.
As you can see, there are many directions to explore around the topic of ethics. There are also a lot of resources out there on this topic, especially since parts of Yogic Philosophy can apply to the concept of this essay. Because of this, we find that narrowing in on one area will help to focus your essay. Feel free to discuss any part of ethics that you would like. The above are only examples to assist you. Feel free to choose one of the topics above or any topic within ethics that you would like to discuss.
Take your time to research this topic and don’t be afraid to pull in past concepts and refocus them on the practical application of ethics. You do not need to discuss all of the ideas provided above, just focus in on the concept(s) that you would use in your classroom to ethically interact with your students. That being said, keep in mind that though it is expected that you will be doing outside research for this paper, this is not a research paper. We want to hear your voice, thoughts, and ideas on what you find in your research throughout your paper.
To help direct your paper further, below are a couple of discussion points. The last point, the practical application of ethics in the classroom, is the most important.
- What can my students learn from ethics in the student / teacher relationship?
- How does ethics relate to today’s world?
- Will interacting with my students in an ethical way help my students?
- What are the practical uses of understanding and utilizing ethics in my classes?
Requirements for this Assignment:
- Must be at least 3-full pages in length, and no more than 5-full pages in length, double spaced. If your essay does not meet this requirement, it will result in a point deduction, up to, and including, a failing grade.
- Utilize MLA Formatting (Click Here for a Sample Guide)
- Proper Header
- 12-point font (in either Calibri or Arial font)
- Font color black
- Margins 1 inch on all sides
- You must use at least 2 resources. You can utilize your course materials and textbooks, information discussed in our live Zoom Session, outside books, online resources, articles, DVDs/CDs, etc. However, at least 1 of these resources must be from outside of your course materials and textbooks.
- Cite your sources using MLA formatting and include a works cited page (reference page). Absolutely No Plagiarism! If you need to quote an author, reference it. All resources used in your essay must be documented. You will lose points, up to, and including a failing grade, if this is not done. (Click Here for a Sample Guide)
*Please note that your works cited/reference page does not count towards your page requirement.
- When you upload your assignment, your file name must be: “Your Last Name_Your First Name_Assignment 2_Yoga Ethics and the Student Teacher Relationship Essay“. Essays not labeled correctly, will NOT be accepted.
(Ex. Jerard_Paul_Assignment 2_Yoga Ethics and the Student Teacher Relationship Essay).
Note: the system will automatically add numbers in front of your file name upon upload, this will not be counted against you.